Monday, May 5, 2014

Tips for Any Incoming Freshmen from Someone Finishing His First Year of College

For those that may follow my blog, you may have seen that I haven't posted in a long time...like, a very VERY long time. The last time I posted was back in August of 2013. That was back when my first semester of college was finally kicking off to a start.  Little did I know that I was going to be extremely to the point where I was ultimately forget about my blog and expressing my opinion to the public.  But now, with only one more day left of finals, my freshmen year of college is finally coming to a conclusion.  I simply just want to give some helpful tips to my fellow classmates.  This is mainly directed towards seniors in high school, but if you were in college and wanted to check this out, I wouldn't really complain.

Here's some tips to make your freshmen year of college the least stressful possible.

  • Finals week is rough. But you can make it easier on yourself by staying up to date throughout the semester
  • Unless your parents are fruitful, you are going to be broke. But the best things in life are free.
  • Some professors may try to intimidate you, but don't be afraid.  The professor that scared me outta my boot on my first day was the one that I learned from the most.
  • Don't be scared to sign up for classes that are the furthest thing away from your major.
  • Math may be hard for some people. You gotta find "that one guy" though. He'll help ya out.
  • Take classes with your friends. It makes life so much easier
  • Take classes without your friends. It forces you to branch out of your comfort zone.
  • Don't judge your classmates. Some of them are actually really cool people with really awesome stories.
  • If you're going to transfer, make sure you read EVERYTHING there is on college websites. It's 20 times more complicated than applying as a freshmen.
  • If you're going to transfer, DO IT EARLY.
  • If you have a job, make sure you manage your time. Sometimes you're going to have to wake up early to work on some stuff.
  • Don't take 8AMs. I repeat, DO NOT TAKE 8AMS. You'll thank me later.
  • Take a weekend off with your friends. Go somewhere. Get away.
  • Leave time aside for yourself, especially if you're an introvert like me
  • Take risks for people.
  • Don't be afraid to change your major... I did it.
  • Don't be afraid to drop a class... I did it.
  • Some classes are going to be hard, and some are going to be really easy. Manage accordingly.
  • MEET NEW PEOPLE.
  • Don't be afraid to communicate with professors. They'll appreciate your openness.
  • Look for doors that are opening.
  • Have an open mind.
  • Newsflash: You have to buy scantrons now. Crazy right. 
  • Winter Break is glorious.
  • 8 week courses are not a bad idea. Took 2 of them and got an A in both.
  • Find a coffeeshop and get to know the barista. You'll be seeing them a lot.
  • Get a cool backpack. I judge most my classmates on how cool their backpacks are.
  • Get a nice laptop, but don't break the bank.
  • Don't use your FASFA money on anything other than school. If you have extra money aside, just put it into a savings account unless you have to use it.
  • Procrastination is pretty much expected. Just know that the best work is done under pressure... for most people.
  • Meditate. Take a break. Go out with your friends. Get some sleep. It's not just a college thing, it's a life thing.
  • Do what you wanna do with your life. Just because you are good at something doesn't mean you should major in that.
  • Majoring in Pre-Med will get you major brownie points with older folks. But doing what you wanna do will give you major brownie points to your future spouse and kids.
  • Stay true to yourself and your beliefs, but be open to hearing other opinions. Be intrigued by some, laugh at some others.
  • If you think about dropping out, don't. It's not the end of the world. You'll be blessed if you persevere.
  • Don't quit, you can make it. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment