Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Don't Over-Think It

For the past couple years or so, I've struggled with discovering the plan that the Lord has for my life.  I can say that the mysteries behind it has consumed me. I remember countless hours of anxiety towards the uncertainty of my success. (Which frankly is pretty selfish) I assume that the majority of the people who read my blog struggle with this ambiguity as well. Let me be the first to say that you're not alone. Chances are, you're probably a college student who's life has been bombarded by questions of whether the major that you're currently in now is what you're meant to be in. If you're not a current college student, you're probably a high schooler who's vision of college is right around the corner, especially you seniors. Making decisions is a struggle, mainly because the normal human being is concerned about making the wrong one, and the number of decisions that appear in this specific season of life couldn't even compare to the total amount of decisions that you've had in your entire life combined. Let's be honest, the biggest decision you've probably ever made before senior year is what you should wear, who your friends should be, or whether you should date a specific person or not. Here's a couple of examples: What should I major in? Where should I go to school? Should I stay home and save some money, or should I go ahead and take some loans out? What classes should I sign up for? Should I take the daring challenge of an 8AM? Where do I go to graduate school? (if applicable) Who should I marry? When should I marry? Should I even get married?! How many kids should I have? Etc. I guarantee that everyone one of these questions have entered my thoughts at some point. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you've probably thought of these as well.

After seeking wisdom from people older than me, reading a couple books, and digging into Scripture, I've formulated a theory that has comforted me immensely.

DON'T OVER-THINK IT.

"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the fields, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore, do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." - Matthew 6:25-34

I've read this passage over and over again, and it wasn't until lately that I've taken it to the heart.  Jesus doesn't necessarily take our obsession with the future and some little quirk that we live with, but instead as evidence of how small our faith really is. If we honestly trusted Jesus with our lives, then we wouldn't be so worried about our future.  If what I'm saying is truth, then I will be the first to say that I don't trust Jesus as near enough as I should.  Have comfort knowing that God will have mercy poured upon the troubles for today, and know that his mercy is so vast for the troubles that will come for years.

I don't believe that God will hand me a divine map of where I should be, and where I should end up. I've learned that the vast power of God can be used through me wherever I'm at in life. Now, I'm not questioning the supreme omniscience of Him, because He knows what I will do with my life, but that isn't for me to know until I get there.  I'm glad that He works like that, because it forces my trust to be bestowed in Him.

Sometimes I think that Christians open up the Bible and expect answers to the countless non-moral decisions that we face in our lives. Sorry to break it to you, but you're not going to open up God's Word and magically see the name of your future spouse, or your future income. If the Bible was like that, it would be a lot more bland and disheartening. The Bible is much more than just a "rulebook" or a "magical compass" that will take you to the most prosperous life planned possible. The Bible is a book that is written by God Himself, and it amazes me as to how simple it is sometimes.

Let's ask the question, "What is the will that God has for my life?" and see what comes up in Scripture.
"For this is the will of God, your sanctification." - 1 Thessalonians 4:3

Woah, that was easy. God wants you to become sanctified in the life that you have. Sanctified literally means to be "set-apart." Simply put, sanctification is you becoming more like Jesus and less like the world. The doctrine of an idea called "progressive sanctification" is something that I believe in.  In essence, progressive sanctification states, that my life will gradually align with the life of Jesus, and will not be fully completed until I enter in to the Kingdom of Heaven. I also think that God's will for your life is that you continue to know him more so that you can bear fruit. Ya know, the basics, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control, and then actually producing these fruits towards other people.

Honestly, I'm not afraid to say that God probably doesn't mind what you do if you bear the fruit of the Spirit. If God was hard to impress, it would be really tough to be a Christian. All that matters to Him is if you know His Son, and you are serving His Kingdom. No matter if you're doing that as a teacher, scientist, or real estate agent, it all pleases Him the same.  God concerns more about whether you loving Him with your entire heart, rather than if you're living in the "right" place. "Love Jesus, and do whatever the heck you want." - Boone Benson

Our society has morphed every single decision into a "Right or Wrong" answer.  I think that some of the biggest non-moral decisions are based on an answer of "Right or Left." You can either go right, or you can go left, but the most important thing is that you have to turn. Don't over-think it. Just make a choice, and don't turn around. Don't be so worried about where the other road may have lead, but look at the road ahead, and make the best out of it! Do what makes you happy, and love Jesus all the while.

I'll conclude with a famous poem written by Robert Frost. I'll let your interpretation be what it may.

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment